No Brainer Leadership
“Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice.” 1 Samuel 15:23
Saul wasn’t listening again.
It’s hard, but he was given direct orders by the Prophet Samuel in how he should lead through a war-time situation.
The victory was his, but in so doing he took a few liberties…
Saul made a few bad leadership decisions. He did not do what he was told.
Saul forgot to obey.
- Butters Samuel up and tells him how great he is. (It didn’t work.)
- Blames others for not listening. (It didn’t work either.)
- Tries to bribe God by offering Him sacrifices. (Nice try but…No way.)
- Finally, admits, as King, he blew it.
In context, this particular text may not lead to a favorable appreciation for God’s motives in the Bible. I admit there is much I don’t understand. But this verse…sings a new song to my heart.
You see, obeying God means that God is still talking. Why this enormous leadership lesson on obedience if it no longer matters?
The reason is because it does matter.
To obey is still better than sacrifice.
It all sounds quite religious unless you know Jesus.
“I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.” John 10:14-16
“For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:30
I can obey God because God is good all of the time. There are things I will never understand but moving through change is like that.
I am in a season of change.
I don’t always like it.
Sure, I can do things my own way. Yet, walking with God is not that hard.
Take time to listen.
Connect with God.
Get to know Jesus, this “Beautiful Outlaw.”
Learn to love God and obedience is a no brainer.
- Who Is Responsible for the Leadership and Growth of Godly Families (part 4) (vineandbranchworldministries.com)
- Losing Mules & Finding Purpose (markmathia.com)
- In The Broken Places (heatherdawkins.com)
- better than sacrifice (vicabbott.wordpress.com)